Click on categories below to view the reference lists.
- Yiddish is Alive and Well by Harvey Gotliffe
- Jewish Identity Spelled in Yiddish
- The Last Books by Jonathan Brent
- Outpost on Pampas, Where Jews Once Found Refuge, Wilts as They Leave
- Pew Study: A Portrait of Jewish Americans (Oct. 2013)
- Something Can Be Done, A Purple Solution to Intermarraige)
- USA Today Who is a Jew?
- What Defines an American Jew?
- Pew Survey About Jewish Americans Got it All Wrong
- American Jewish Survey
- Jewish Surnames Explained
- Dara Horn’s response to Jewish Surnames Explained
- The White Veil-Peter Matthiessen’s lifelong quest for peace-about Auschwitz
Yiddish Literature / Culture / History / Identity
General Lists – All available on Amazon.com most as print copies, some also as Kindle e book editions
- Sholem Aleichem, “Tevye’s Daughters,” Collected Stories of Sholem Aleichem.
- Sholem Aleichem, Tevye the Dairyman and Railroad Stories , Library of Yiddish Classics
- Sholem Aleichem, Five Short Stories, (annotated)(Kindle ebook, no hard copies available)
- S. Ansky, The Dybbuk and Other Writings, edited with introduction by David Roskies. Isaac Babel (translated by David McDuff), Red Cavalry and Other Stories, Penguin Books, 1994.
- Lucy S. Dawidowicz (ed.), The Golden Tradition: Jewish Life and Thought in Eastern Europe, Jason Aronson Press, 1987.
- Jeremy Dauber, The Worlds of Sholem Aleichem, Schocken Books, 2013
- Helena Frank, Yiddish Tales (free from Kindle or Nook as ebook). Chaim Grade, Rabbis and Wives, Alfred A. Knopf, 1983. (Sacred and Profane, 2002, is a reprint of this book)
- Dara Horn, The Rescuer (Kindle Single)
- Dara Horn, A Guide for the Perplexed, (a novel) 2013Irving Howe, World of Our Fathers (includes arrival at Ellis Island and life on the Lower East Side).
- Irving Howe and Eliezer Greenberg, A Treasury of Yiddish Stories, Viking Penguin press ( a wide representation of authors translated from Yiddish).
- Jerzy Kosinski, The Painted Bird
- Bernard Malamud, The Assistant -Available as a Kindle ebook, and many used print copies on Amazon.
- Isaac Metzger, A Bintel Brief—60 Years of Letters from the Lower East Side to the Jewish Daily Forward.
- Sheldon Oberman and Penninah Schram, Solomon and the Ant and Other Jewish Folktales
- Penninah Schram, Jewish Stories, One Generation Tells Another, Jason Aronson, Inc. 1993.
- Isaac Beshivis Singer, The Collected Stories (Farrar Strauss edition).
- The I. L. Peretz Reader, edited, with introduction by Ruth R. Wisse, Yale University Press, 2002.
- Philip Roth, The Ghost Writer, Vintage Books, 1979
- Philllip Roth, Goodby Columbus, Vintage Books, 1959.
- Ruth Wisse, No Joke: Making Jewish Humor, Princeton University Press, 2013
- Annie Polland and Daniel Soyer, Emerging Metropolis, New York university press 2013
About the Shtetl in Eastern Europe
- David Assaf (editor) Journey to a Nineteenth Century Shtetl: the Memoirs of Hekheskel Kotik , Wayne State University Press, 2002.
- Jack Kugelass and Jonathan Boyarin (editors), From a ruined Garden: The Memorial Books of Polish Jewry, Indiana University Press, 1998
- Steven T.Katz (editor), The Shtetl: New Evaluations, New York University Press, 2007.
- Alisa Solomon, Wonder of Wonders: A Cultural History of Fiddler on the Roof, Metropolitan Press, 2013
- Yivo Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe
The YIVO Institute for Jewish Research- polishjews.yivoarchives.org. YIVO Digital Archive on Jewish Life in Poland. The website provides access to thousands of digitized documents, manuscripts, photographs, artworks, films, and audio recordings relating to the rich and vibrant Jewish community in Poland before World War II.
- David Roskies, The Jewish Search for a Usable Past, Indiana University Press, 1999.Robert M. Seltzer, Jewish People, Jewish Thought: The Jewish Experience in History (Macmillan Publishing Company, 1980 (being updated).
- Robert M. Seltzer and Norman Cohen (eds.), Americanization of the Jews, New York University Press, 1992
- Gur Alroey, Bread to Eat and Clothes to Wear: Letters From Jewish Migrants in the Twentieth Century, Wayne State University Press, 2011 (on emigration from Russia)
- Moses Rischin, The Promised City (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1962) (On Jewish immigrant life in New York)
- Tony Michels, A Fire in their Hearts: Yiddish Socialists in New York, ( Harvard University Press, 2004 )
- Rebecca Kobrin, Jewish Bialystok and its Diaspora (Indiana University Press, 2010)
- Rebecca Kobrin, ed. Chosen Capital: The Jewish Encounter with American Capitalism (Rutgers University Press, 2012)
- The Jewish Study Bible Edited by Adele Berlin and Marc Brettler (New York: Oxford University Press, 2004)
- Torah Through Time: Understanding Bible Commentary From the Rabbinic Period to Modern Times By Shai Cherry (Philadelphia: JPS, 2007)
- The Jewish Publication Society Torah Commentary (Five Volumes):
Genesis by Nahum Sarna (Philadelphia: JPS, 1989)
Exodus by Nahum Sarna (Philadelphia: JPS, 1991)
Leviticus by Baruch A. Levine (Philadelphia: JPS, 1989)
Numbers by Jacob Milgrom (Philadelphia: JPS, 1989)
Deuteronomy by Jeffrey Tigay (Philadelphia: JP, 1996)
- A Torah Commentary for Our Times (Three Volumes) By Harvey J. Fields (New York: UAHC Press, 1991)